Browse Items (38 total)

ScrDry.JPG
Before the advent of credit cards, customers with good credit could hold a “charge plate” at their favorite department store. The cards were often held by store clerks, and a carbon copy was taken when a purchase was made. The bill, with the copy of…

Tags:

preno1.JPG
Thomas Preno and his wife opened their Italian restaurant at the corner of Lackawanna Avenue and Adams Avenue in 1932. The restaurant was a popular Downtown dining spot, and Parade Day destination, until it closed in 2000. This menu is from Mother’s…

Tags:

elephant.JPG
Nay Aug Park was created in the 1890s as part of the City Beautiful movement to beautify urban areas. The park provided a green space for strolling, a small amusement park, Lake Lincoln for swimming, and a zoo. The Nay Aug Zoo was most famously the…

Tags:

lun.park ph2243.jpg
When Luna Park opened May 28, 1906, it was noted as “an elaborate example of the modern type of exposition park with magnificent buildings, ballrooms, restaurants, roller coasters, shoot-the-chutes, concert bands, circus performances, exhilarating…

Tags:

turf.JPG
Baseball has long been a popular pastime in Scranton, from the baseball club formed by James Linen in 1865 to the modern day RailRiders, a Triple-A affiliate of the New York Yankees. Prior to the arrival of the RailRiders, the area hosted the…

Tags:

bicycle.bylaws.JPG
Bicycling was a popular Victorian pastime, and the Scranton Bicycle Club gave enthusiasts a place to meet and group to ride with. The club was founded in 1881, and members were referred to as “wheelmen.” Their clubhouse on Washington Avenue near…

Tags:

child.uniform.JPG
This uniform was worn by a young baseball player from the Young Men’s Ukrainian Association St. Ann’s Orthodox team.

Tags:

Silk.Sox.jpg
The Sauquoit Silk Mill, on Fig Street in South Scranton, opened in 1879. It was one of dozens of silk mills the anthracite region, and provided jobs for the wives and daughters of coal miners. The mill didn’t just provide a job, however— Sauquoit…

LI&C.stock.JPG
The Scrantons' iron works reorganized a number of time in little more than a decade, as partners and products changed. After securing a contract with the Erie railroad in 1847 to produce t-rail, the firm constructed an additional two blast furnaces;…

wallet1.JPG
This leather wallet belonged to Joseph Hand Scranton, a cousin of George and Selden Scranton. At their request, he moved the Scranton from Georgia in 1847 to be partner in their fledgling iron works. Joseph was instrumental in the company's switch…

Tags:

Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2